

EXECUTIVE MEETING

Date: 08/05/23

Time Opened: 4:03

Attending:

Apologies: Grace

Minutes: 4:39

Time Closed:

AGENDA ITEMS

1. Acknowledgement of country
2. Administration
 - a. Accepting the previous meeting's minutes
 - i. Private
 - ii. For publication
 - b. Declaration of conflicts of interest
 - c. Executive decisions since the last executive meeting
 - d. Declaration of confidential agenda items
3. Portfolio reports
4. ANU Committees
5. WHS/EAP reminder
6. Matters for discussion
7. Matters for decision

MINUTES

Acknowledgement of country

Ben gave an Acknowledgement of Country

Administration

Accepting the previous meeting's minutes

Will do next week

Declaration of conflicts of interest

Executive decisions since the last executive meeting

Declaration of confidential agenda items

Portfolio reports

Ben

- Hiring for SAT, Legal, SUAW, SEEF/Clubs + Bush Week
- Meetings with PARSA reps
- Governance changes looking good
- Meeting with PG stakeholders
- BNO

BY: Very busy! Launched postgrad announcement, has gone really well, no pushback. Been working on getting hiring moving, starting to get rapid applications rolling in. Now out publicly for all three positions and SUAW is being tidied, hopefully done today or tomorrow, SEEF/Clubs will go out this week. BW went out publicly. Governance changes – huge thank you to Phi and Michael for huge amount of work. Got them over the finish line! Didn't have any concerns from the SRC really. Constitution will be tidier. Initial indications from ANU are that they're happy. ANU has made revisions to their governance statute so we can administer UMAC/PMAC elections. Meeting people in PG world – master of university house next week, had a meeting with research and development office about SUAW which went well, anticipate a lot more of those meetings happening. BNO happened.

PO: do you have written version of timeline? Can you send it?

BY: Yep and yep.

Grace

Kat

Audit – submitted

ESC reform

Reserve policy – term deposit

KH: Audit statement was signed by Ben and I, will go back to Liana and will ask Kat to upload to our website, will go to ACC. I'm thinking of renovating process of EC – talked to Erin about that, will come up with that for the end of this sem so that we can use it for BW, hopefully by o-week will be good. Have to come up with a reserve policy for term deposit, if we're going to use that or some other investment.

PO: can you explain term deposit again

KH: different from savings, you can take out savings any time, term deposit you have to save it for a term, deposit with a term, eg 6mo then we don't get out any money for that 6mo but we get much more interest for that amount

BY: my perspective would be really good to have a sense of what are some low-risk options, term deposits, bonds, any that you can recommend – or Liana – and we can come back and have a chat. My strong feeling is that I have a low risk tolerance

KH: for term deposit we need a minute

Phi

PO: mostly did constitutional changes last week. Especially with AGM there was a lot of back and forths with people and a lot of legal consultation. Doing stuff for the protest tomorrow, chatting to AFP, a lot of groups have shared it. Working on that and upcoming SRC stuff. I've started on an ANUSA meeting feedback form, launching it before break so I can work on the stuff we talked about at retreat then. If you'd like me to add anything especially lmk before SRC please.

PO: also BNO driving

Bea

- Still unwell from long COVID-19 so not heaps to report but feel I've missed too many exec meetings so thought I'd try zooming in today, you'll understand if I'm quiet/ behind on things
- EAG updates that have been happening while I've been sick

- EAG is hosting a public meeting on ground floor Marie Raey next Monday 1pm wk 11,
 - o to jazz up the meeting style,
 - o inviting a staff speaker to come along, unconfirmed which staff member just now though,
 - o keen to have a themed meeting that we flyer for: discussing higher ed funding federally, AUKUS uni militarisation and ANU's undergrad curriculum review and the compulsory minor
 - o Kambri booking is complete but yet to finish the FOC
- On Saturday (May 6) the anti-AUKUS WG organised a trip down to Port Kembla's May Day celebrations with the bus, 7 students went along and the rally looked massive. Great to see such a strong union, student and community response against a potential submarine base at port Kembla.
 - o The fuel costs for this are likely to be passed at the next Enviro meeting under the enviro budget. Failing this for any reason, I'll request retrospective approvals from EAG.

BT: have been sick, wrote summary of what they've been doing while I'm gone

Kai

- Rental reforms workshop
- BNO driving

KDB: also kind of back from being sick but still feeling unwell, haven't been up to much in the past week – rental reform workshops with better renting, talking with Kat about doing that, thinking about pushing it back to be a bush week thing

Charlotte

- Coordinator apps are live externally!
- Finished SEEF ToR, reached out to a number of postgrads who applied last year to chat, have a couple meetings this week.
- Night Markets – go like my post on schmidtposting.
- Did some more work on bush week model w/ Ben Eleanor and Erin, tbd.

CC: BW coordinator apps are live exciting! Can't post it on schmidtposting, even though they used to let us do that stuff, jobs fb page aren't the place. It tends to get less hype and applications than O-Week did. Finished SEEF ToR – James seems to be fine with it for the most part, still working on the guidelines, reached out to a number of PGs who applied last year so can get feedback in a couple of meetings to talk about the conference aspect. They're the majority who apply but also most heavily scrutinised in their applications. James seems to be fine w ToR so far. Night markets working on with the CC, got the ball rolling late so please bump my post on schmidtposting, may 18th next thursday. Then I did some more work on the BW model which we'll discuss today

ANU Committees

Student Safety and Wellbeing Steering group

WHS/EAP reminder

BY: less alcohol in the office! We probably will have to do a clean up soon, probably a post exams thing.

Matters for discussion

Bush Week!

CC: I'll send a summary of this into slack, I'm going to give you a rundown on the work I've been doing on BW reform, a lot is behind the scenes stuff. If you want to hear about it let me know, mostly about how you all fit into this. I've made it sound like I want people to do more work, that's not exactly it it's a big job and you're all busy. More about how we can improve BW and the engagement we get and how exec plays into that. Not about O-Week going forward, just about BW 2023. Big chat for future O-Week will be after BW. Big transition.

We discussed Bush Week allocations.

CC: big idea is that we prepare the vision and coordinators execute it. That looks like talking about it every week during exec beyond my report – discussion item every week. Would like exec to approve calendar. Where's my time going? Erin is managing coordinators going forward - I'll be like another exec member to them with a bit more to do with their area. More department support. Postgrad integration. Will put it to the room, now that you know what's going on, thoughts or feelings?

BT: love this!! Sounds good, sounds like you've thought a lot about it, very excited about coords being an erin thing for your sake. Depts aligns with engaging people more.

PO: Love. Obviously did CO last year and I imagine this takes an enormous burden off. It's exhausting to manage staff as a junior exec member. Vision wise. At planning day last year we had a smaller chat about reps planning events, especially College Reps. Getting genreps into the groups to help run an event. That would take away much of the work and decentralise some of the work. I'd also love to advertise the postgrad positions that we'll be running next week. A meet and greet could be run w the exec.

BY: general - I want to move towards, which would speak to the point Phi just raised – is having some sort of event request form that reps can fill out. Aleisha said she really wanted that kind of support. Somebody to do a venue booking, FOC form, a facebook event. We have staff who can do those things, so we should do that. If the CAP reps want to run the coffee catch up, we're not there to facilitate that. Need to formalise it through a google form, turns into a workflow for erin kate coordinators. Something we can endure through BW. Especially for HDR officer, Parents and carers officer. That would be really keen on. Might make a much easier way for our departments to engage in our BW. Going to more specific stuff, had a chat to Claudia P&C officer, she'd really like to see our social calendars specifically say if things are family friendly in the same way we do accessibility wise. Might also want to chat to people and figure out – family friendly events and family events can be different. First not designed for kids but second could be. Besides that, I agree on the thing about promoting PG reps

KH: I really agree with the idea of gen rep college rep things, the problem always is in terms of their funding pool, would be a good idea for them to spend their money during BW. The CAP rep language expo was great. They can organise similar events.

CC: when is planning day

BY: we did it last year during week 12 or stuvac.

PO: good to have a specific time to plan

CC: form goes to coordinators, pass on all info to coords, then it goes from there

BY: in the process of creating the form, something to chat to coords about or eleanor or erin. Need to set really clear articulations and boundaries about what we do and don't do. Easy to overcommit and underdeliver. We do venue bookings, we do FoCs and we do promotion. It's your job to get the trestle tables, not going to set up AV system, setting those boundaries really clearly so people don't think that they rock up at 8:59 for a 9am event

PO: linking things like equipment hire, bus booking

CC: we can move from here, lots of this will come from when we have coordinators that they'll inspire people. Happy to put a pin in this, has been incredibly useful, stuff I'm looking for – happy to come back to it after I've hired coordinators. Would like to introduce them a bit more formally this time and we can bounce ideas.

BY: potentially we can give them a half hour at our exec meeting.

CC: kind of want to bring back the prank element – going to run a temp tattoo event and silly things.

KDB: that's epic

CC: it used to be a prank week, it was kind of a more rogue thing.

KDB: talked about on retreat – having some very concrete things we can bring around to events that let people know that the event was run by ANUSA and funded by them like posters or stands to bring to random events to scatter around the place

PO: Banners like dept or a frames

BY: Teardrop banners – have been talking for years about having vinyl things to ziptie outside of market day

KH: would be a good idea to promote SSAF

Protest tomorrow

PO: can people send me their availability for tomorrow so I can have help!

Matters for decision