

# Clubs Council Executive Meeting Agenda/Minutes

2019-09-16

Marie Reay Teaching Centre 3.04

Meeting Opened: 6:00 pm



## 1. Acknowledgement of Country

Delivered by James

## 2. Attendance and Apologies



In Attendance:

Cahill  
Ji  
Ebe  
Jacob  
Stavros  
Niam  
James  
Jason  
Eli (entered at 6:01pm)  
Ben (entered at 6:12pm)  
Skanda (entered at 6:18pm)

Apologies:

Shahnawaz  
Henry

Absent:

Matthew  
Dash  
Emily  
Paris  
Claudia  
Andrea

## 3. Declaration of Conflicts of Interest & Confidentiality

Elections:

Jason: If you read the agenda, this is a reverse conflict of interest, I'm not running for anything.

James: I am strongly thinking about running

Ebe: I am running

# Clubs Council Executive Meeting Agenda/Minutes

2019-09-16

Marie Reay Teaching Centre 3.04

Eli: I may be running  
Niam: I may be running  
Stavros: I am undecided  
Jacob: I am almost certainly not  
Cahill: No  
Ji: No

## 4. Actionables Arising

### a. James to create Exec Policy Reform Slack channel.

James: I did this, slightly late. The first meeting will be next week.

### b. Jacob to chat with Matthew and Dash about finding more money in the budget for Clubs.

Jacob: met with Dash. Had a good chat about it. He's decided we have 155,000. The Exec budget got folded in. And our expenses were drawn from the meeting expense and other items. So that 5 g is still there. No reason not to spend that. Chatted with him about other things. Money from National Science Week, given no money was spent. They did not laugh at 15,000-20 as a dream target. Set a timeline, wanted something clear for this meeting. Ultimately, we want this done before OGM Friday.

Jason: So the national science week stuff, is that a go?

Jacob: I think that was pretty much go.

Jason: I'd back for Lachie to move that at the OGM

Jacob: There's no reason that I need to do it now, if the deadline for items is approaching and Dash isn't contacting me, absolutely. If everyone wants me to do it, I can, but I don't see why I need to. I'd hope that these changes be moved by Dash. I think that people would be more comfortable with voting for someone who is the ANUSA Treasurer. If I haven't heard anything by the deadline I'll get something happening.

Ebe: 6k from another line item is for Clubs Ball, and I'd really like for that one to be moved separately to prevent us from looking like we're taking too much money.

Jacob: It will almost certainly be OGM, Friday Week 8, but there's a chance that the SRC will go to shit, so it's safer to move it at the OGM. If you're worried about Dash putting Clubs funding over Ball funding we can talk about it.

Ebe: I'm more concerned about things in the live blog about people asking why Clubs need more money.

Jason: You're concerned about the optics?

Ebe: I'm concerned about the optics given the timeframe and the contract we've signed with Parliament House.

# Clubs Council Executive Meeting Agenda/Minutes

2019-09-16

Marie Reay Teaching Centre 3.04

## 5. Budget and Process Reporting

Jacob: So, yep, um, if you read my slack messages, the situation is as set out there. I looked today, to pay out is 134,000. Not 100% certain on that. MySupport is there. Once you include acquittals, it is 134 g approx. Only one to be payed is a ball, sorry 3 are big balls. Bad, but not dire. We are on a rolling basis. As grants come in we will assess them (first come, first serve). Resolution for emergency measures. At best we will run out of money at the current rate in a few weeks.

## 6. Portfolio Reports

James: First, I have been working a bit on CCM planning. Handing over to Jason. It will be friday week nine. Avoiding hangovers from Clubs Ball if it were week 10. There has been some tension with PARSA. I have not met with Eden.

Ben: Firstly, sorry I've been very sick. Nothing else.

Eli: Interfaith week is a go. Who guessed not me. The way it is happening is that I am limiting the number of events I will organise, then give op for Clubs to organize their stuff. I am doing a feminist faces of faith event, also a living library event, and an exec mixer for faith clubs. Also, the wellbeing committee is doing a thing. I'm also talking to Al about ANU Trivia collaboration. That last one is not a certainty. Also, Union Bar is an op for that. Also going to make a FB group. Also dropped a subject.

Skanda: to clarify, I'm on the incoming ANUSA team, I'll remove myself from SSAF things. Will have that branch officer discussion. Met with henry and Shahnawaz about postgrad involvement. I will briefly recap, we discussed how to encourage clubs to look for postgraduates in their exec. We talked about how to work through PARSA to get them involved. We discussed a network event, the idea was social justice and advocacy clubs would come and speakers would come.

Jason: Do you have minutes?

Skanda: We have handwritten ones.

Jason: Can you transcribe those please? To be clear, in your memory of the event, when was it decided that ANUSA and Clubs Council branding would not be involved and when the event would go live?

# Clubs Council Executive Meeting Agenda/Minutes

2019-09-16

Marie Reay Teaching Centre 3.04

Skanda: It wasn't necessarily discussed. Regarding the Facebook event, they went live. I was wondering if they were going to talk to Ebe or Jacob about funding.

Ebe: It was a bit of surprise, especially considering that we just ran an event at the Union.

Jacob: I'm pretty sure at last CCE I expressed these concerns and that Harry tried to run a similar event and only got 2 people interested.

Skanda: I would just say it was more over-enthusiasm, which isn't a bad thing.

Jason: I think, um, there was the MySupport stuff, some interpretation work, including if they are eligible to get a grant when there is a compliance issue. There is a working group for Regulations Reform - there were two people: me and Jacob. If you want to see the minutes you can message me or it's in the Clubs drive in my folder. Oh yeah! So, elections, I'm getting to this later, I love the exclamation mark! Anyway uh, so we now have a Retuning Officer (RO) for the elections, it's Taylor Heslington. We need someone to liaise, we agreed I should do that. I believe everyone should be able to dissent this if they feel appropriate.

Cahill: After CCM, all the clubs that got affiliated should have access. 3 more affiliation requests. This is easier than new affiliation. Jason and I are working through them presently. The affiliation reform working group is now moving on to rebuilding the e-form.

Ji: The Minutes are now up to date. Trying to get into contact with Kate for access. Kate is talking to Eden, not much has happened. I am now meeting Eleanor and Kate this week. I will update on this.

Ebe: don't be afraid to push back, it is easier for staff to say no

Ebe: I successfully took leave. I am in the process of getting on top of things. I am nearly there. I have two priorities, Clubs ball (graphics have gone to Kate, once those come through, I will share, the Audio-Visual situation has become more challenging and expensive than I thought. We got played a little by Parliament. I'm just waiting for some quotes to come through in a few days. We also have to pay parliament to get one of their approved contractors. That's that. Happy to field questions. The other thing is the facilitated handover sessions. Booked Marie Reay rooms, need to confirm, will do FoC form. Can't be at all of them. You will be facilitating in a room, maybe getting some Qs. Clubs Ball awards are coming along. And, Oh, diversity in working group is important for their effectiveness.

# Clubs Council Executive Meeting Agenda/Minutes

2019-09-16

Marie Reay Teaching Centre 3.04

James: now would be a great time for doing handovers.

Ebe: I'm thinking of doing our handovers just before exams. Handover will be different for different people. Also drinks after CCM will be a thing. No more CCMs yay.

Niam: Theme for Clubs Ball

Ebe: you will see it before others

Ben: hint?

Ebe: No

Stavros: something I didn't hear

Ebe: no

Jacob: a couple of things worth flagging, I communicated with Clubs about the stich. There was some issues with how much to com. I was in favour of full transparency. That's what the email achieved. I talked to the new CL officer today.. Ran her through the funding policy, some basic things about clubs council. She has low knowledge of the student side of ANUSA. I think it would not be bad to invite her to slack right now. She seems not bad.

James: I've held off on putting her on the slack because eleanor has not appointed her.

Jacob: my assumption was that Eleanor was unsure of the new officer's availability.

Ebe: who is she?

Jacob: not a thousand percent sure. Event background.

Niam: Nothing to report.

Eli: I have emailed student services like 4 times. Not sure who to talk to.

Ebe: I will find you a contact.

Ebe: all you need to do is contact the relevant venue manager, then FoC

Jacob: bite them if they want the cleaning fee.

## 7. Items to Discuss or Decide

### 7.1. Emergency Measures under 6.1 of the Funding Policy (Discuss, Decide, Jacob)

Jacob: This came out of a chat with Jason, I want to discuss the merit here first. If people are not familiar, check section 6.1. We can reduce rates to between 75-90%. Section 6.5 prevents the existence of us even going into deficit.

Jason: Interesting.

Jacob: The first thing: the rate has already been lowered - the ordinary is \$6 and the special events grant is still \$12. This is in line with what we discussed at CCM. Main

# Clubs Council Executive Meeting Agenda/Minutes

2019-09-16

Marie Reay Teaching Centre 3.04

point is that we are getting awfully close to the end of the budger and we don't know if we'll get more, and we don't know if it will be a meaningful amount. We may want to reduce it again, which we can do through this power. Would this help the funding situation? Yes, even if it is just a little bit. I think Clubs would really dislike this and I'm not sure that it will help us all that much. I would be surprised if it helped us stretch out for more than a week.

James: So to clarify, this is the second reduction in rates?

Jacob: Yes.

James: I think it's not worth the cost-benefit. Clubs didn't seem to receive it too well. I think the ones who were ok with the last one won't be ok with this.

Jacob: This also relates back to the conspiracy that the Executive is trying to prevent people from getting funding by screwing around with the funding policy. I don't think it's not worth it - as Jason said, we have 6 weeks and some events during the exam weeks to fund for.

Jason: Confirming, we have 21 grand left essentially? Secondly, where were we at the end of Term 1 and the end of Term 2? The reason I ask is because we struggle with a lack of data. Term 3 was inflated by the rush of ball funding, this Term will not be inflated by that. The rate of funding should be lower. Hopefully if we get more money from, at a minimum if we can get 24 grands. The ideal is that we run out of money at 5pm Friday, week 12. You don't want to not spend the money because it goes back to ANU and going bankrupt early makes Clubs angry.

Jacob: After the post-term 1 deadline grants, we were at 26 & 1/2k. After Term 2 deadline we were at 41,700. Term 3 was big.

Jason: I would say we do nothing based on that data.

Jacob: Important to note on the 21,000 - about 20,000 is awaiting acquittal. The % of that will not be acquitted? There are about 6 grants that won't be approved. Board Games have some grants, but they will exceed their cap.

Jason: How much do we actually have? As an estimate.

Jacob: Yeah so, in terms of how much we could approve right now, only like 1k. As the grants get acquitted there's another 3-5k there. I'd say we have 5-6k there. A lot of that is tied up until the events have actually happened. What we almost certainly have on top on that - about 8k. Let's be semi-optimistic and find another 2-4k, then we'd be at 11 - 14k.

Jason: I think that we should probably just leave it. We'll run out at about Week 11.

Stavros: We just have to communicate that there won't be money to give to Clubs for events.

Eli: I don't think that running out of money is a bad thing but being the gatekeepers for the funds would be.

Jacob: We'd still probably run out anyway after those measures. If we cut the funding and then still run out it's not good.

James: So, the conclusion is that we are not going to?

Jacob: Correct.

Jason: We can move this as an out of session motion too.

7.2. Elections (Discuss, Jason)

# Clubs Council Executive Meeting Agenda/Minutes

2019-09-16

Marie Reay Teaching Centre 3.04

Jason: Can we discuss in coordination with 7.3? We have a RO, we need someone to liaise with her - preferably someone who isn't running. On Friday, the named officers decided to have me run as liaison. I decided to pass it as a motion.

\*Jason moves 7.3\*

Jason: Idea is that voting online will open before the meeting, voting will continue online following the meeting for people who couldn't attend.

James: Did you talk to her about paper ballots?

Jason: Yep. I emailed Lachy about it. ANUSA is pretty keen to use MSL.

James: I always find that digital voting always breaks down. While paper ballots take some time, it can work.

Jason: The issue with the paper ballots is people nominating from the floor.

Ebe: Who is eligible to vote?

Jason: Delegates.

Ebe: I was able to vote last year, even though I wasn't a delegate.

Jason: I'll bring that up. It's not a vote by students, its a vote by Clubs. It's like any other motion at CCM - just in an election style.

Ebe: The other thing was that when we put the notice out for CCM4, we'll make it very clear that voting is happening. We need to definitely do food to get people there.

Jason: Ideally, 90% of the votes would happen there.

Ebe: Are we bound by the same rules as ANUSA?

Jason: No, the RO is given the discretion. The RO can bring in any electoral sections they believe are relevant. It's basically up to Taylor.

Ebe: yeah, can we get on top of that, it would be bad to set up a voting place in an exclusion zone.

Jacob: Even if she does include the electoral regs, we can't hold it in Kambri.

Jason: We can't because it's a teaching space. If anyone has any other comments or questions feel free to message me.

7.3. Confirmation of Jason Pover as liaison with RO for CCE Elections (Decide, Jason)

Moved by Jason  
Seconded by Eli  
Motion is carried.

7.4. Productivity, availability and Slack responsiveness. (Discuss, Jason)

Jason: Reminder to be responsive on Slack. It might have been the break and exam periods, but it has been noticeably tardy of late. It's just a friendly reminder.

James: Even a thumbs up would be helpful.

7.5. Brandon Tan Email, Comprehensive list of ANU Opportunities (Discuss, Ji)

# Clubs Council Executive Meeting Agenda/Minutes

2019-09-16

Marie Reay Teaching Centre 3.04

Ji: We received an email from him, hes a gen rep. He's trying to make a doc for students to access. It would include info about us and clubs. Just bringing it here to get thought

Ebe: I don't have a problem. Seems like a minimal workload. Anti-booklet. They never get circulation.

James: do we want to focus it through you then.

Ebe: yeah

Ji: I emailed him asking for a deadline. Jacob also had a suggestion about how to do clubs info. Lead it through joining the club and then we can describe the branches and the clubs in them.

Ebe: Also just give info on the mechanics of getting on a club exec. Things people don't think about. Brandon is generally interested in unengaged students

Eli: Also, how to make a club, AGMs and so on.

Eli: my cousin came to market day and she started the second club of her university.

Ji: I will progress this further later

## 7.6. Next Executive Meeting (James)

James: thanks to the changed time of SRC, we would clash. The consensus is to have it another week, so next week. It's unfortunate that it has happened. Can also look at other nights. I would like to see whether that would be ok for people. It would be a Tuesday or Wednesday.

Attempt to gauge availability

James: for now we'll have it next week on the Monday.

## 7.7. Standing Order Reform Consultation (Consult, Jason)

See Appendix A

Jason: For context, this is for ANUSA, not Club's Council. After last SRC there was a lot of complaints about the standing orders and the pulling of motions. A lot of reps on SRC are mobilising to meet on this - General Meeting on Friday before SRC. I will be passing my draft standing orders. It's a lengthy document - it's a bit complicated but its substantially better than what currently exists.

Standing orders apply to all bodies of the organisation, including Clubs Council Executive. The reality is though that the standing orders don't exist until someone notices them. We need better standing orders for CCM too.

Ben: Don't read the standing orders, but what are the main changes?

Jason: Go to the second link, it goes over a lot of it.

Ebe: Would recommend going over the language before submitting it.

Jason: Maybe.

Ben: Top 3 changes?



# Clubs Council Executive Meeting Agenda/Minutes

2019-09-16

Marie Reay Teaching Centre 3.04

Jason: 1. Currently, all members are entitled to go to SRC. Certain members have abused that and these standing orders give reason to revoke membership for repeated violations. 2. In terms of silence or uncertainty, you're supposed to refer to the House of Reps. It's ridiculous - so instead we've changed it so that abstentions can happen only under conflicts of interest. 3. It's just generally better, but two highlights include: 1. There's only 6 procedural motions, there are now 12 procedural motions that cover everything and then there is a catch all procedural. Think of it as an a la carte menu but for SRC. 2. Standing orders apply to all ANUSA meetings. At the moment that is inflexible. I've provided a section where variations of the policy can occur - nothing like changing voting but rather making it easier to use for CCMs.

## 8. Funding items

### 8.1. RRRS Ball Prospective Payment

Jacob: We've already paid them some money, they've increased in ticket sales now. \$461.96, they would prefer to having it paid prospectively to prevent the Exec from being out of pocket. They've asked for money to be paid before invoice deadlines. Kambri has given them an unusual deadline. I am not sure that we should approve this. I think that they will not go dramatically into debt and they've already got more prospective payment than anyone else and I'm not sure if we can pay this without further funds. My suggestion would be to not pass it.

Ebe: Differences that they are looking at don't create that much of a change. Ticket sales should have covered a lot of it by now.

Eli: Maybe after the event if someone is out of pocket.

Jacob: They are entitled to this money, but once we give them the money we can't get it back, so we need to be sure that they need this money.

Jason: We have to consider the effect on the budget. Because this means that the money could run out earlier because they jumped the queue means that we shouldn't pass it.

## 9. Other Business

Skanda: direction to get training, this has not been followed up.

Jacob: I would not expect it to occur. My inclination

Jason: I would also note that Dash isn't here and there isn't a delegate from ANUSA here. ANUSA should practice what it preaches.

James: I don't think we can comment.

Jason: A delegate exercising the putative powers of the President trying to stop a meeting would be unconstitutional.

# Clubs Council Executive Meeting Agenda/Minutes

2019-09-16

*Marie Reay Teaching Centre 3.04*

## 10. Recall Actionables

- a. **James to meet Shahnawaz and Eden regarding to PARSA stuff.**

## 11. Meeting Close

Meeting Closed: 8:19 pm

# Clubs Council Executive Meeting Agenda/Minutes

2019-09-16

*Marie Reay Teaching Centre 3.04*

## Appendix A - Standing Orders

[https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IrtZlqY6t4FFTr3AA\\_ggi-z76CUIKToWLhANHtb7gEc/edit?usp=sharing](https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IrtZlqY6t4FFTr3AA_ggi-z76CUIKToWLhANHtb7gEc/edit?usp=sharing)

[https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gAynMEuJnS1\\_B8uGvozisYO8aUx56X3zs29wGVgO8Zs/edit?usp=sharing](https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gAynMEuJnS1_B8uGvozisYO8aUx56X3zs29wGVgO8Zs/edit?usp=sharing)