

## **EXECUTIVE MEETING**

**Date:** 26/6/23

**Time Opened:** 3:04

**Attending:**

**Apologies:** Luke late

**Minutes:**

**Time Closed:**

### **AGENDA ITEMS**

1. Acknowledgement of country
2. Administration
  - a. Accepting the previous meeting's minutes
    - i. Private
    - ii. For publication
  - b. Declaration of conflicts of interest
  - c. Executive decisions since the last executive meeting
  - d. Declaration of confidential agenda items
3. Portfolio reports
4. ANU Committees
5. WHS/EAP reminder
6. Matters for discussion
7. Matters for decision

### **MINUTES**

#### **Acknowledgement of country**

Ben gave an Acknowledgement of country.

## **Administration**

### **Accepting the previous meeting's minutes**

Sharepoint issues 😞

### **Declaration of conflicts of interest**

### **Executive decisions since the last executive meeting**

### **Declaration of confidential agenda items**

## **Portfolio reports**

### **Ben**

Business update – RFT

PG rep recruitment – PDs issued

Logo brief – discussion item listed

All hires finalised

Shout out to Kat Lee who identified that ANU Parking was criminalising students for non-payment

Developing work plans for new staff who are not part of teams (C/S Admin, SUAW)

Legal have a fabulous new booking service

Postgrad welcome event launched with ticket sales already doing excellently.

SR review

Social support model

Access and inclusion moved into SSWT

BY: business stuff – met w commercial services last week

PG rep recruitment – PARSA exec people asked for PDs, sent them out this morning

Logo brief – discussion items, got two solid tenders which is good

All hires finalised – since last exec we finalised SAT, Clubs/SEEF, SUAW.

Lawyer Kat is doing amazing work on the ANU Parking situation!

SR review

A&I – feeling really positive about that

### **Grace**

HDR SASH report

Working out new ULH system and policies

Cleaned and tidied BKSS

GK: lots of my time are on HDR SASH results, outcomes are what we thought they were, will be really good to identify major gaps and many reporting services are interested in results.

Worked out a new ULH system – incredibly explicit, numbering everything, will hand over to Clubs/SEEF at some point to run but in many ways there will be less problems, will be clearer to staff.

BKSS was so dirty and disorganised so now in a much better state

### **Kat**

nothing special – ongoing tasks from the last week!

KH: Don't have anything specific, special things right now – all things ongoing from last year's report, department audits and ESC things

### **Phi**

- I have a lot of tasks in progress at the moment that are a bit difficult because SharePoint is having some problems, but I anticipate them all to be done this week
- Constitution
  - Have been working on updating the Constitution to be in line with the changes made last semester. This takes forever sadly lol
- Minutes
  - Minutes from ANUSA meetings will be up to date by the end of this week. Most are up to date as of now bar Exec meetings

- Meeting schedule
  - Please look over and let me know if you see any issues!
  - Extraordinary SRC is for electing a new Welfare Officer but it will also be planning Aug 1<sup>st</sup>
- Updating AQAC policy to standardise representative appointment across committees – this makes sure that PG reps are no longer appointed by PARSA as well as making it easier for us to fill vacancies where the standard rep may not be able to attend

## Bea

### Staff Strike

- Staff meeting last thursday concluded that a half day strike starting at 12pm will take place on Thursday 27<sup>th</sup> of July. Our job in solidarity with staff is to tell students at as many bushweek events as we can, about the thurs strike and have those conversations explaining why crossing a picket is not okay. A double-sided flyer will be made (one side council protest, other side staff strike), would be good if this can be a part of each event that it's actively handed around in first few minutes.
- WG for social media content in lead up to strike tomorrow morning at 11am in foyer and on Zoom, come along!
  - This will be one of many meetings of this kind, if you have a preferred day/time that is better for you in future I can raise the option on your behalf tomorrow when we discuss when the next one will be, let me know if so.

### Anti-AUKUS

- **WG for Anti-AUKUS posters and content Wed morn 11am in Foyer and on Zoom**
  - **Organising meeting for Bushweek protest next Wednesday 05/07 at 11am for continuing to organise bushweek protest, for this meeting the agenda involves clarifying the demands, exact time on Friday Bushweek (11am is the vibe atm I think?)**
  - So that people know what I'm up to this is what I'll be working on over the next few weeks (obvs give or take some bits I've likely forgotten)
- My jobs before Bushweek:
- Discuss/meeting with Luke H about a potential EWAG (Education and Welfare Action Group) stall instead of EAG stall
  - Have a Stall /event prep half day with Dep Eds who are around
  - Create design for shirt screenprint
  - Burn design for shirt screenprint
  - Test print on Black T-shirts w light ink (white or other colour, lilac for NTEU purple?) in advance (and make 30 or more for market day)
  - Coordinate volunteers for screenprint event and induct on their role
  - Book / organise with Bushweek coordinators how we will divvy site bookings FOC's etc.

- Decide exact dates for Sem 2 EAG meetings, probs my original thoughts being fortnightly Mondays every even teaching week (2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12), create schedule and book rooms.
- Continue facilitating WG's Anti-AUKUS and Staff WG across the break, prep for actions, create social media content
- Write report really early so that it's submitted in time before the Monday SRC meeting.

BT: mostly just telling people about WG meeting tomorrow – social media content for strike and upcoming strike at 11 tomorrow, next day there will be a WG for anti-aukus as well (more casual, actual meeting organising protest on Friday). Didn't mention if that protest can be on the calendar, is that fine to wait for next Wednesday?

CC: yep

BT: most of what I have to say, other than random action items for the WG

GK: wondering if you end up having any minutes from those meetings could you put them in the slack?

BT: in the drive which is pinned in the WG fb but can put drive in there as well

PO: focus of Friday protest? Just checking

BT: A lot of discussion about what role HAC could play – push for it to be primarily anti AUKUS, with a speaker from HAC – a little tricky ATM because Nick seems to have decided he's the one coordinating this working group. Kind of going to roll that back a bit

BY: quickly – with the flyer do you think it could be slightly towards upcoming campaigns and put aug 1<sup>st</sup> on there as well given that it's 3 days later?

BT: will raise that and see if we can have a section on it – might be hard but not sure

BY: one side is political argument for the strikes and other side is key upcoming campaign matters? Might also include HAC, is there something on the weekend

BT: hiroshima day – no tangible plans yet

BY: strong argument for why anti-war stuff is related to anti-staff stuff – might be tricky as those things won't get the proper convos they'll deserve. Maybe we do another one with the stuff coming up? Specific concept for the double sided flyer. Nothing stopping us from handing out two flyers at the same time

BY: do you think the original flyer works without someone giving it who can have the convo?

BT: proly not

BY: makes a lot of sense for flyering on uni ave, passively received may be more random

We discussed the flyers. Will be raised at WG.

## **Luke**

LM: not doing a lot – going through email, got access the other day, had a meeting with Phi about HAC. PARSA welfare emailed us! That's it

## **Charlotte**

Bush Week tingz

Stakeholder tingz

SEEF done! Thanks Ben

Excited to take PARSA out of the model constitution

Created a list of tasks for Clubs/SEEF, started handover.

Market Day externals wishlist

CC: BW – most hours are going to BW, nothing of particular substance. Stakeholders – hate that BW is in week 1 of classes. Have been making tasks for Clubs/SEEF staff member and writing a handover.

BT: what are externals

CC: like commbank, lifeblood, people not clubs/departments – anyone outside of the ANU is an external.

LM: I'm excited

KH: we talked about choosing from what we've approved from ESC – can show you in matters for discussion, if you have any preferences in the existing list – so we don't have to pass on the ESC

CC: Luke – if NUS wants a stall (would love them there) would like to know by next week. Also I need to hear from ANU sport what the cost will be for hall!!

We discussed approach to political stalls at Bush Week with limited space

## **ANU Committees**

Recording of teaching activities WG

GK: had what was meant to be our final one, will probably go on for another month/two months. Think the outcome of the policy won't be that bad. Changes to how often it's reviewed which I think will be beneficial. Interesting points being made about how recording and approach to in-person affects staff. Will let people know as it progresses but will take longer than planned, implementation

will likely be delayed until next year. Investments into better and more consistent tech in every room – big win.

Kambri reference group

CC: science mural on AD Hope will be moved to a different building. Also concern about racism of the artwork. Being revised and now being put on wall next to kambri bridge with ANU sport.

### **WHS/EAP reminder**

BY: Office stuff – moving desks soon as we move into new office! Yay! People might be at temporary desks if things move around but will try to make as smooth as possible, if you have concerns ab desk arrangements you haven't talked to me about let me know.

PO: can it be sent

BY: need to figure out where legal is going, once that's finalised will send through.

BY: feedback on EAP is particularly important bc we're considering who we renew with, let Eleanor know

### **Matters for discussion**

#### **Bush Week – calendar and graphics.**

We dealt with BW first.

BY: Can you send BW coordinators feedback

CC: Have finalised the movie – they needed them on Friday (Chicken Little was a great idea!) Doing Monsters Inc. Banner painting – one on there on Tue, Bea's suggestion happy with that, waiting for Phoebe's approval for a Friday one for Aug 1<sup>st</sup>. Just need to think about what to do for the Strike thing – Lachlan is going to call me and we'll chat about it, thinking about a breakfast beforehand to bring bodies on campus before the strike. Brekkie/BBQ something like that. Afterwards, unsure because I don't think afters is feasible given that it's a rally rather than pickets. Thoughts to be had there

PO: DIY before? Is that happening? Good to get people on campus but hard to make political?

CC: event people show up for no matter time of day – DIYs is number one, talked about doing it before, Seungbin popped it on just in case. Could do two events in the morning, main aim would be a few exec members on it so people can convince people to come beforehand

BY: wouldn't mind doing the high engagement ones like bubble tea – leads to dozens of people moving through the space, ripe ground. Don't mind doing it in the morning, not resource intensive, not a huge opportunity cost. One thought aside on a different track – any event we do parallel or around strike, keeping in mind that if it's between 9-12 staff can't come bc that would be unauthorised strike action. 8:30am breakfast? During those hours student events – can be a student event that leads into it

BT: I think the one thing about a DIY that's tricky is that there's the element of getting there, there's the issue of people understanding why they should be there, then we have to have a convo w every single one to tell them to go home or stay for the rally, fine to do as long as we're up for the discussion which we'll have to have the entire week anyways. On the morning of seems tricky because just to throw in – Sinead mentioned a meeting the week before - question is there a chance the plan will change?

BY: So the motion passed was to have a meeting exactly one week before – the framing was to decide if action is still necessary or needs to be escalated, realistically I don't see a strong likelihood of either happening, I read a lot of nerves about the strike in the room – idea of changing plan last minute unlikely. Unless ANU makes bold move – which I don't see likely – I don't see it happening

CC: did consider this beforehand, have to plan for either way and doubt it will change – don't see why we don't have an event in the morning. Like the idea of an 8:30 breakfast – convos can be 'are you coming to rally this afternoon', still going to be mad exhausting. Maybe a breakfast is a better idea – I want to decide if we want to do a brekkie or DIY here, coordinators view it from events perspective rather than political.

PO: Many DIYs have labor intensive pack-ups which we probably don't want on the day of a strike. It will also bring a lot of people who may not be interested in the strike on campus. Also, I think we should frame it as a student-oriented event – an 8:30am breakfast for a strike probably won't be appealing to students. As the student union our goal is to get students on campus who will support the strike, or to learn about the strike – good for the event to be accessible to staff too but important for us to keep track of our goal

BY: I like the way you framed that phi – maybe my view is cut the DIY and add a DIY event mixed in with the brekkie, the event is poster making. Not banners bc we don't have time for paint to dry, can do it on Kambri lawns or something (cold but might be a vibe), coffee, yogurt, and some sharpies and some card – people will turn up for free food, easy convo from people turning up to effectively banner painting. 8:30-10? Can invite staff? Fine to make it student focused

BT: yeah I think that the difference between a breakfast and a breakfast w a DIY, I'd say the role of the SU in a strike is not to substitute for workers, it's to corrale students in terms of strikes, I think it's ok if the breakfast is for students, workers can still come but I think the idea of it is student breakfast in terms of staff, come to campus eat be ready for the rally has a clearer message in terms of the role of the SU, staff can see that we're coming out in force to support them. With that as well, it can just be framed as a breakfast but a bit more of a 'learn what the strike means' in a casual format. Can throw DIY in there,

CC: happy with that. Also I have the first mock up – will share with you!

We discussed the BW mock-up and our preferences.

ACTION ITEM: Charlotte to give feedback to Kate and BW coordinators.

BY: Do we have another feedback point where we'd like to be in touch w BW coordinators?

CC: will send another finalised graphics to exec and keep in the loop – calendar once this has been communicated back I don't see this taking too long, should be back by the end of week. Other



touchpoints – will mostly send via Slack. Anything crucially important I will bring back to exec through reports and discuss further if more input is needed.

Everyone happy with that.

#### Market Day externals and quiet hour

KH: basically – this is tricky because I want to share the list so I can get it back from you guys – I think it'll be too long if we do it this meeting, I think Erin is urgent about this – if we have to do it I think we'll share the screen and I'll hear your opinions

BY: what exactly

KH: ESC list of 70 potential sponsors – but we can't contact every company so maybe I can hear your opinions on who to contact from list so we don't have to ask for ESC meeting so we can talk to already existing companies

BY: my feeling – I'd rather just hand it to Erin, we need a couple of them for cost offset but Erin has a better sense than us on who is a better use of time, concerned about providing her a list of externals that won't be interested which will delay everything.

PO: can we request people that we really want and otherwise let Erin decide

We looked at the ESC lists of Market Day externals.

#### Matters for decision

Logo tender

BY: in rough formatting right now, would rly like to send off to Kate by end of today so she can provide technical side of specs, have tried to suggest the vibe that we want.

We went through the logo brief and discussed.

Wall calendars

BY: Kate suggested doing more, really popular in O-Week. Got some quotes. Kate thinks 2000 (would cost about 1500)

CC: my budget?

BY: kate's budget.

Pricing is as follows:

1000 copies - \$1,430

2000 copies - \$1,705

3000 copies - \$1,947

BT: which one

BY: green one (small one), one-sided

No dissent to 2000 wall calendars.

Beanies

We talked about Bush Week beanie preferences.