

Clubs Council Executive Meeting Agenda/Minutes

2019-07-29

Marie Reay Teaching Centre 5.06

Meeting Opened: 6:01pm



1. Acknowledgement of Country

Delivered by James

2. Attendance and Apologies



In Attendance:

Stavros
Niam
Sam
Ebe
Ji
Jason
Jacob
James
Eli
Dash
Cahill
Ben (entered at 7:28pm)

Apologies:

Claudia
Skanda
Andrea

Absent:

Paris
Matthew
Emily
Esha

3. Declaration of Conflicts of Interest & Confidentiality

Ji declares position of President of International Relations Society

Motion to deal with 7.1 before the rest of the agenda

Moved Sam

Seconded Jason

Clubs Council Executive Meeting Agenda/Minutes

2019-07-29

Marie Reay Teaching Centre 5.06

Carries

4. Actionables Arising

a. Jason to start constitutional/independence/postgrad representation working group. Follow up

Jason: Yeah I made the group but the holidays, people not being around and Bush week, so I made the decision to push it off into this week and week 3.

b. James to check back with Eden about talking to Zyl about the expectations of PARSA representative attendance at CCE meetings. Follow up

James: This is an ancient actionable, but I have not been able to meet her, she has been on leave every time I have had it scheduled. I will be meeting her next week. Right now, still waiting.

c. James to make and disseminate EOI form for Branch vacancies.

James: Done

d. Skanda to form working group review into branch officer efficacy.

Jason: Not done

e. Sam to book CCM 3 (Jason to do FoC Form)

James: Done.

f. James: create Slack channel for working group and add people above.

James: Done

Cahill: Could you do you make a channel for me, re-clubs visibility.

5. Budget and Process Reporting.

Jacob: We have currently paid \$76, 708.95 out of the \$150,000 budget. Decent deal more will be paid soonish. 19,040 more is in the works. Not where we want to be given the balls are coming up. CAP has been approved for 3,240. Not fantastic not super disastrous. I have spoken to Sam and the admin about being uncharitable moving forward. We can take any changes to CCM 3. Emergency powers may have kicked in at that point

Eli: How many balls are we expecting and will they all get money from us?

Clubs Council Executive Meeting Agenda/Minutes

2019-07-29

Marie Reay Teaching Centre 5.06

Jacob: yes to the second one, but many often have more sources of funding separate to us. In terms of how many, so we've got CAP CASS, LSS, Sci, Psych, Geo, Fenner, Engineering.

Eli: Is CAP representative?

Jacob: No, it is largish, LSS is biggest.

Ebe: There are other special event grants other than balls, Expos and things like that.

Jacob: Almost inevitably at least one club will need a bailout. Some clubs can wear it, others can't.

Jacob: Boardgames will have a grim end of the year.

6. Portfolio Reports.

James: I'll go most recent, just attended a meeting with Sarah Walker, Tanya Willis, Lucas Owen, Geeraldine, Tom Richie. The topic was clubs on campus, it was somewhat inquisitorial. One of the take away was they were unhappy about ANU being in clubs names. Jason has better notes, so he'll go into more detail. Eden has been on leave. It has been sometime since last meeting. Otherwise, things are coming along ok. I will be asking about the governance review at the SRC tomorrow night. That's all I have to report on.

Stavros: I was busy in the holidays, but I managed to download the pay runs for this year and last year. I made a neat graph, the data from last year isn't good. I don't want to predict anything from it.

Jason: So, it was quite wide ranging. They don't seem to know who is affiliated and who is not besides checking the ANUSA website. One recommendation made from the meeting is having a live list shared with the team so they can see it, Cahill?

Cahill: We have a public, master list.

Jason: Ok, we'll share it with them. They mixed up the CSSA with the CSSA. James did pick up on this, but they were concerned about clubs using ANU in their name. The responsible group for it is ANU branding - we could talk to them.

Ebe; They aren't easy to work with though.

Clubs Council Executive Meeting Agenda/Minutes

2019-07-29

Marie Reay Teaching Centre 5.06

Jason: Noted. There was concerns about the religious clubs, they wanted them registered with the chaplaincy. Are they already noted with the chaplaincy Eli?

Eli: Not that I am aware of, because I had to send the list to Rev Miriam.

Jason: They were worried about international students exploiting other international students. They wanted us to remind clubs to fill out F&S forms, which is important. CSSA tried to do an opening event with a lot of random speakers that didn't seem legitimate. The ANU found out about it late and were going to cancel the event, but MySupport jumped in to support the event. I believe disaffiliation is on the cards for that.

Cahill: Do we know why they used MySupport?

Jason: Believe they had personal connections between the execs. One thing they were keen on was integrating the official values of the university into our affiliation process.

Ebe: There are 5 or 6 of them and they're what you expect.

Jason: I back this because we can have more discretion over affiliating clubs. Apparently this could cause issues for the exec of the CSSA, they wanted us to pass on the information about the exec members.

Sam: As ANUSA members you are not allowed to provide it.

Jason: They want there to be actual information on the lists about how to contact clubs. Finally, they have some problems with sponsorships. They listed an example, but I fail to see how it was relevant to us.

Jacob: Without sponsorship, Clubs Council would need significantly more money. A lot of clubs that get a lot of sponsorships need that money. CBE societies, EngSoc, LSS all rely on that money. If they want to moderate that it would be difficult.

Jason: There are some more notes but I can relay those in another channel.

Ebe: I don't think the religious clubs issue is necessarily directly related to the religious clubs, I think it happens to many clubs.

Eli: I've spoken to the chaplaincy about this, I am happy to send a note to clubs to highlight the issue.

Clubs Council Executive Meeting Agenda/Minutes

2019-07-29

Marie Reay Teaching Centre 5.06

Jacob: If it continues to happen, then they can call ANU Security because that's not necessarily something we can fix.

Jason: On that matter, we asked them to contact Clubs Council on these issues because communication should be more direct.

Eli: Do you have access to what part of ANU policy prevents that from happening? **AP Jason/James to get Eli a copy of which part of the policy prevents proselytising so she can send an email to all the F+R societies.**

Jason: I wrote an interpretation. Some were important. I made the determination that the CSSA is not eligible for affiliation.

Niam: Did some things on the Discipline Policy. Will be ready soon.

Eli: Talk later.

Cahill: Jason and I had another affiliations meeting, just us two, didn't do too much, just discusses changes we'd already planned on, evaluated them, most of them are structural, making it more efficient. Another meeting soon for procedural changes for affiliations and other bigger changes. I will put the changes we've made on Slack too, so that everyone can see. One more affiliate request from ANU Cooking Club, Jason is reading the constitution, in total we have 6 clubs who have applied for affiliation at CCM3, CSSA, Women in Leadership and Cooking Club are not compliant and I am waiting for them to reply.

Ebe: Sorry, I'm jet lagged. They were supposed to be on leave, isn't. Has a full time job, needs to be contacted outside of business hours now. Disappointed by lack of response to questions about Bush Week. 50 registrations for Networking Evening. Wed night for final Balls Training, need to do this to get money. Next CCM will have report from survey results. 40 responses, 30 clubs. Nice graphs will be happening. Will collaborate with Cahill on an Affiliations workshop for new process. Thinking of booking out Marie Reay rooms for 'how to handover' sessions.

James: Would be great for CCE to use one of those rooms for our handover.

Ebe: Would love to get help from people regarding this.

Ji: Past minutes are up to date. Am working now to update Clubs list, it's not working. Inbox is looking good.

Clubs Council Executive Meeting Agenda/Minutes

2019-07-29

Marie Reay Teaching Centre 5.06

Dash: N/A

Sam: I asked to be invited to this meeting last week. That invitation wasn't extended. I would remind and resend F&S the affiliated, public, list. Otherwise I would oppose all suggestions as an overreach from ANU and CCE should consider options available to them through ANUSA. Wants to make time with Jacob and Jason regarding a few grants, in CC inbox. Will flag now and can talk at a later date, 2333 from OCF, grant 2351 from Debating Soc, 2352 from Choral Soc, 2284, AFEC society, 2360 from RRRS, 2348 Chinese Debating, 2345 IR Soc. 2202 MySupport, 520 Kissing.

Jacob: Bush week took up my time, am back now. Survived. Worked through some grants today. Some have issues. All grants Sam flagged are either solved or require revision before they can be passed. Like Ebe, I am a dumb bitch and forgot to take leave. I am responding to emails slowly now.

James: We need to train people on how to take leave. On Standing Orders, not super strict, but generally please don't talk while others are talking. Please be respectful. I will name if I have to, I don't think it will be necessary.

7. Items to Discuss or Decide

7.1. Branch Officer EOIs (Discuss and Decide, James)

See Appendix A - Branch Officer EOIs

Candidate 1, Mithun Enters

James: Hi, make any starting remarks.

Mithun: master of computing, first semester at ANU, used to be at India. Used to work in an NGO, teaching under privileged kids. After that I worked with an organisation on corporate social responsibilities.

Ji: Are there any clubs and society you want to be involved with?

Mithun: Badminton.

James: How much do you know about CC?

Mithun: Not much.

Clubs Council Executive Meeting Agenda/Minutes

2019-07-29

Marie Reay Teaching Centre 5.06

Eli: Do you have any goals as the branch officer?

Mithun: As of now, I don't know.

Ebe: Big part of the role is to reach out to clubs, people you've never met. How would you cope?

Mithun: Happy to reach out to others where I cannot help.

Jason: What kind of time commitment can you make? Can you make the fortnightly meeting?

Mithun: I skipped a lecture today, they are recorded .

Jason: So you're going for Humanitarian, in that role you're facilitating the clubs that fulfil that role, how do you see yourself doing this?

Mithun: I see myself understanding the clubs, trying to understand the clubs means you can give them a proper response.

Candidate 2, Pepin Enters

James: what would you like to start with in opening?

Pepin: Bachelor of IT. Was a librarian in high school. Enjoyed that work. I hope to learn more.

Sam: How do you see yourself in the CC team?

Pepin: As soon as I see a problem I will proactively let people know of it.

Jacob: you applied for discipline branch, a wide variety of clubs, how would you manage that?

Pepin: I would categorise them and then approach them to assist them.

Cahill: Any clubs you are involved in?

Pippin: I am a member of a bible study group.

Jason: What time commitment can you make, can you make Mondays?

Pepin: Yes.

Clubs Council Executive Meeting Agenda/Minutes

2019-07-29

Marie Reay Teaching Centre 5.06

Jason: How do you see the role of facilitating clubs?

Pepin: A chance for me to learn more about policy and apply it, and I hope to learn more in this position.

Eli: You've applied for both positions, do you have a preference?

Pepin: Discipline, I can try the other one, but I am not an outgoing person, prefer rules, can handle that better.

James: all part of 7.1. Would we like to go through the EOI of the applicant not here.

Reads the Candidate 3, Ratu's EOI form

Jason: Impressed that he withdrew his application, shows that he has professional integrity, but I don't want to take him on without an interview. Potentially should hold off.

James: ANU Pacifica is not affiliated.

(Sam explains the society)

Jason: ANU Pacifica didn't turn up for market day.

James: Candidate 1, Mithun - thoughts?

Ebe: Seemed super keen, broadly none of the applicants understood the role. He seemed like he could learn.

Eli: My concern is that many think the role is the thing itself, not facilitative. Could cause passion issues if not.

Jacob: Did not completely understand, but was not disheartened by the idea of facilitating. Seemed to have vaguely some experience, and he performed well.

Dash: Is he PARSA?

James: Yes, first postgrad other than the reps.

James: My thoughts are that he did not know about the role.

Jason: Is quite descriptive. My concern is the applicant did not know the things in the form. That would tell me they did not read it.

Clubs Council Executive Meeting Agenda/Minutes

2019-07-29

Marie Reay Teaching Centre 5.06

Jason: True, we foresaw this, and yet they still didn't understand.

James: I put a descriptor, I hope for him to read. No dilly dallying or obfuscation about ignorance.

Jason: Pepin seemed happy to be in a facilitative role. I can't imagine any Social and Advocacy club that would find him useful though - he's a nice guy but he doesn't know how to run these clubs.

James: One of the things that Harry and Abigail were good at was having both passion and knowledge. Both were very good. Unfortunately, I don't think that I would be inclined to appoint Mithun to the role.

Eli: If we vote for nobody, do we reopen?

James: We can, but no obligation. We can leave it.

Jason: I wanted to leave the discipline branch open, but then we had a second resignation and then we decided to open. I'm happy to leave them open.

Ebe: I would reopen, they were poorly advertised.

Jacob; yeah the clubs themselves would probably know how to run their clubs better than any one of the applicants. We should probably reach out to the branch to find an officer.

Eli: I really want someone with experience in the clubs they are representing.

James: I'd definitely be up for opening them again. I would also be open to shoulder tapping. Many potentials would not see the value of the position. I would propose shoulder-tapping.

James: The take seems to be that we don't want to appoint them?

Jason: Yes.

James: We can still.

Jason: I don't think we should reject - I generally agree about the second applicant. I want to learn more about the first applicant.

James: Main concern w extending nominations is that it pushes timelines out, there's no urgency, but I don't want to drag it out.

Clubs Council Executive Meeting Agenda/Minutes

2019-07-29

Marie Reay Teaching Centre 5.06

Ebe: We need to reach out better. We already have a large representation problem in this body, so we need to be reaching out to those people that aren't represented here. We need to do a campaign that makes us stand out. It's a challenging time of year to advertise for these roles.

Jason: I don't disagree with you. It should have been done a week ago, but we can't change that. I would back doing what Eli suggested since we'd be targeting the best applicants.

Eli: I don't think that advertising through the C&S page would match who we want to apply. We could suggest to the clubs executives directly that they suggest someone who was a previous exec to fill the role. Could be a good training experience.

Ebe: I think that we need to just extend the applications. It happens all the time and it's fine. It's a burden to bare if we want these roles filled.

Jacob: I would say that no one would even notice we reopened the nomination.

Ji: If we do extend it, when till? I don't think people will be inclined if it is an even shorter tenure.

James: our next meeting is on week 4. I'm very inclined to not re-opening it on the page. That would be covering new ground and not just the same ground. IMO we should email the clubs and shoulder tap.

Ebe: the way I would do it is just delete the app deadline and share it into more specific groups. At no point did we sell the role to applicants.

Eli: Maybe also targeting what Ji said, with the much shorter length of the term and advertising the benefit of being supported by an experienced executive.

Cahill: It might also be a good option for people who want to step into Clubs Council roles next year.

Ebe: Also, going into our elections, it looks extremely problematic if elections go out and no one applies.

Eli: Did we want to vote on changing the Facebook post/form or just the email?

Jacob: I was unsure of the Facebook post, but we can share the posts to different Facebook groups with better advertising and selling of the role.

Jason: I was also convinced.

Clubs Council Executive Meeting Agenda/Minutes

2019-07-29

Marie Reay Teaching Centre 5.06

Ebe: Also we can sell it from the perspective of our experiences.

Jason: Also do we want it to be essential for people from the relevant branch that they're applying for. Do we agree with the proposal?

James: Going forward, we're going to continue nominations being open, we're going to re advertise on the CC Facebook page and group. We're going to directly email the relevant clubs under the branches and ask their executives to pass it on. As well as asking Clubs Council Executive members to shoulder-tap people they may deem good for the role.

Eli: can we ask the old branch officers or anyone else to answer questions about the role.

Jason: That sounds like a good idea, I wouldn't want to ask previous Branch Officers, I think that you and Claudia would be the best examples. While the constituency is different, the nature of the role is the same.

Ji: We actually sent 2 emails out, disappointing this is the results.

James: I think nominations should close Friday the 9th of August.

Eli: If we amend the FB page to state that it is highly preferred that the applicant is a member for the branch they are applying for.

Eli: Just state that we want it to be representative of the branch. Suggest they get involved in a club/society this year and reapply next year if they're still interested.

James: Are we rejecting them?

Jacob: Yes.

Jason: Yes.

7.2. Funding Data Analysis Update (Question, Jason, Held Over)

Jason: there's a graph. Done.

7.3. **Recurring Actionable to discuss budgetary position at CCE meetings.**

Done

Clubs Council Executive Meeting Agenda/Minutes

2019-07-29

Marie Reay Teaching Centre 5.06

Jason: Because last meeting was messy. Should always be discussed.

7.4. Interfaith Week and the possibility of making an ANU Interfaith Facebook Group (Discuss and Decide, Eli)

Eli: Sorry, I was the third person to forget to take leave, personal/family issues, I will not be in Canberra on weekends, will keep you updated. First thing is that I want advice on Interfaith Week (Week 7 or 9) - is there a process by which we get out events officially registered on ANU website.

Sam: Talk to Sally Davis at Student Experience

Eli: How to get funding for this event?

Jacob: Early.

Jason: From ANUSA, not from Clubs Council.

Ebe: Social Committee?

Sam: Gen Rep money/projects?

Eli: We don't have a particular pool of funding for this?

Jacob: Yes, you can spend some money but not a lot, you've already spent some on coffee. Not sure what you want it for yet.

Eli: Food, gifts for speakers.

Ebe: Can't spend SSAF on gifts.

Eli: 2 events are Living Library (Harry Hartog semi-sponsor) - idea is to set up tables in Kambri, people rep their religious group/clubs society, come and sit down and pick a question to discuss, more accessible.

Eli: the idea is it is more accessible than a large event. It is only going to go for 2 hours. Feminist Faces of Faith event will also be a thing. Another thing, a page, better than one to ones with me. Allows collaboration. I'm going to ask what the process is of making a Facebook group. One model is just execs, the other is a more open group for interfaith, like a department page. This would allow for constant dialogue.

Clubs Council Executive Meeting Agenda/Minutes

2019-07-29

Marie Reay Teaching Centre 5.06

Ebe: If you make a purely executive group, it will turn into the other type. That could be a chat. Ji would be the person to talk to. This could be a subgroup of the C&S group. Depends on whether it is grassroots or CC top down administered.

Jason: Would Kate want input on this?

Sam: Probably not.

Ebe: I think you can just do that

7.5. MySupport and CSSA venue hire issue (Discuss and Decide, Jason).

Jason: **I will investigate if this is a violation of the Affiliations Policy.**

James: If it is, I think we should disaffiliate.

Jason: What do they do?

Sam: They have Youtube videos.

Jacob: Kind of a support group for international students. Seems a bit off.

7.6. Reminder of importance of slack responsiveness (Discuss, Jason).

Ebe: Over break, problem not so much of an issue with people in the room, people very unresponsive via slack. Posting about Bush Week volunteers for nearly 2 months, received no responses to this. Very disappointed with branch and general officers, you should be on the ground, spreading the good word of the clubs council but nobody responded. I was deeply frustrated, I was away. 2 named officers entrenched in bush week. There should be a degree of common courtesy to say you can't make it instead of ignoring. Similar issue with networking event and training appearances. Trends in lack of response when it's not directly affiliated with policy, this is not okay we do a lot more than this.

Jason: Personally salty, disappointing nobody else helped.

James: I've also noticed this for callouts for CCM help, faded noticeably for CCM2, really helps and we need this for CCM3, expect an apology earlier than 1 hour before. Can't even get our own members of 16 to attend but expect 130 delegates to attend.

Ebe: Totally agree, we are all tired, semester 2, we are all over-committed, university, family things. If you can't do it please say you can't do it, it's better than disappearing completely.

Clubs Council Executive Meeting Agenda/Minutes

2019-07-29

Marie Reay Teaching Centre 5.06

James: We have support services, please let me know if you want to take leave, we can't fade away now, ball season is coming. Please show up but take attention to your mental health.

8. Funding items

8.1. Motion to rescind SSA Cap Ex Funding Approval (Jason, Decide)

James: don't approve grants when you are tired. I approved 2, went through another 1 too briefly, shouldn't have approved it. This motion is to rescind that accidental approval

Jacob: SSA asked for 680. Shouldn't have been approved. Passing this motion is just covering ourselves because we shouldn't have approved it.

Jason: not too worried, they weren't entitled to the money

James: They were informed shortly afterwards

Moved Jason, seconded Elli

Motion carried

8.2. Motion to approve prospective payment for international relations society ordinary event grant (Jacob, Decide)

Jacob: IR Society submitted \$400 for a Women in Leadership breakfast at University House. They would get this money if they waited until after the event. They're trying to pay a \$1500 invoice (attached). It will stop them from having to go into personal debt if we grant this.

Eli: If tickets are \$26 per person x 50 people, we're probably over funding them?

Jacob: I think they've somehow understated the value of breakfast in the expenditure column.

Eli: All good, thanks.

Jacob: Yeah all is good.

Jacob: This event seems like it is relatively fair and well budgeted, \$26 per head is the whole cost and that's pretty good, they seem to have negotiated a discount also.

Moved: Jacob

Seconded: Sam

Passes

9. Other Business

None.

Clubs Council Executive Meeting Agenda/Minutes

2019-07-29

Marie Reay Teaching Centre 5.06

10. Recall Actionables

- a. **Jason to start constitutional/independence/postgrad representation working group. Follow up**
- b. **Jason to investigate if MySupport conduct is a violation of the Affiliations Policy.**
- c. **Sam to meet with Jacob and Jason**
- d. **Skanda to do branch working group**

11. Meeting Close

Meeting Closed: 8:07pm

Clubs Council Executive Meeting Agenda/Minutes

2019-07-29

Marie Reay Teaching Centre 5.06

Appendix A - Branch Officer EOIs

<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Hce8unZjgAhUwU1xC4GztspElzg4rZkI/view?usp=sharing>

Appendix B - Funding Applications

<https://drive.google.com/open?id=1T03kF5-OQhSuyt3E4Kzkr5yo3ocK2vVA>