New Grading System

The information on this blog is correct as of 24/08/20

New Grading System

In acknowledgement of the disruptions faced in Semester 2, 2020, the University implemented a new optional grading system for this semester.

Upon the release of results, students can opt-in to change their grades from the marks they’ve received to either:

Course Requirements Satisfied (CRS)

Instead of a passing grade e.g. High Distinction (HD), Distinction (D), Credit (C), Pass (P) or Pass at a Supplementary Exam (PS)

Course Requirements Not Satisfied (CRN)

Instead of a fail grade e.g. Fail (N) or Not Completed/Fail (NCN)


What does this mean?

If students opt-in to receive a grade of CRS/CRN, this grade will not be counted towards their GPA.

I have passed my course, is there a benefit in opting in for a CRS grade?

Opting into a CRS grade is particularly beneficial to students who are looking to maintain a certain grade average, but were not able to attain the expected grade due to the disruptions this year. For example, if the student is sitting on a HD average, but has received a grade of P for one (or all) of their course this semester, it is advisable that they opt-in for a CRS grade, so that their previous GPA is maintained while allowing that course to count towards their degree.

I have failed my course (received an N or NCN), is there a benefit in opting in for a CRN grade?

Yes, because your marks will not count towards your GPA. However, you will not have passed the course. Therefore you would either have to retake the course again or take another course in its place to complete your degree.

Furthermore, a CRN grade will not be included in academic progression or repeat course requirements.

While this is the case for most of the Colleges, it is advisable that you check in with your individual College before making this decision.

If you failed your course due to unexpected and unforeseeable issues, you could apply for Late Withdrawal.

Can I apply CRS/CRN for just one of my course or do I have to do it to all of my courses?

You have a choice of which courses you want to convert to a CRS/CRN grade. For example, if you are happy with three of the four courses you are enrolled in and have failed one of the courses, you can opt-in for just the fail grade to be converted to CRN.

Ok cool, sounds good. How do I do it?

You can fill in an e-form on this website. Keep in mind that if you choose to receive a CRS/CRN grade in lieu of your marks, you cannot reverse this decision.  

If you are happy with the grades you have received and would not like to opt-in to a CRS/CRN grade; you do not need to do anything.

Can I opt-in in every course?

No, there are some courses that are excluded from this opt-in program, and the full list of courses will be made available soon.

I have other questions!

You are welcome to touch base with us at or with Student Central at


We acknowledge the Ngunnawal and Ngambri people as the Traditional Custodians of the land on which ANUSA operates.
We recognise the continuing connection to lands, waters, and communities of all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
We pay our respect to Elders, past and present, and commit to standing with our first nations people.

Contact ANUSA (02) 6125 2444