My name is Eleanor Kay and I am the President of the ANU Students’ Association (ANUSA) for 2018. ANUSA is the peak representative body for all undergraduate students, advocating and furthering the interests of its members to the University. ANUSA exists so that undergraduate students at ANU have a voice, welfare support and a vibrant community to thrive in; in order to support and enable members to achieve their education goals while at the ANU.
ANUSA is made up of thirty-nine elected student representatives: six Executive members (President, Vice President, Treasurer, General Secretary, Education Officer and Social Officer), two College Representatives for each academic college, fourteen General Representatives and seven department officers representing respective collectives that are a product of activist and grassroots movements (Queer*, Ethnocultural, Women, Indigenous, International, Disabilities and Environment).
ANUSA's work is multifaceted. We coordinate some of the largest scale social events on campus such as O-Week and Bush Week, as well as facilitating all of the 150+ Clubs and Societies on campus. ANUSA also plays a substantial role in providing free and confidential services to all undergraduate students through our Student Assistance Unit. This includes a free legal service, financial aid, student meals and help with tax and Centrelink plus much more. Additionally, ANUSA manages the Brian Kenyon Student Space (BKSS) where all students can relax on couches, study in a relaxed environment, buy cheap snacks, pick up free menstrual products and condoms, and recharge your devices. From this space we deliver a free breakfast program from 8-10am every day of term.
While we do all of that, we're also advocates for students to the university and the government. With respect to representation, ANUSA has representation on a diverse range of University Committees ranging from University Council, Academic Board, Student Experience Committee, Academic College Education Committees and much more. In addition, ANUSA also coordinates different student committees such as; the Mental Health Committee and Education Committee. The Education Committee is a space for passionate advocates and activists to plan campaigns to raise awareness of the student experience to the government.
The Association is primarily funded by students through the Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF) which each undergraduate student pays every semester. In other words we are funded by students, run by students, exist for students and seek to improve the student experience of our members at every stage.
Throughout 2018 ANUSA will have a focus on:
- Advocating for structural and strategic changes at the ANU to better support student mental health and wellbeing, including building wellbeing into teaching and learning practices
- Supporting student leaders to ensure student leadership is safe, sustainable and fair
- Building the capacity of the activist movement on campus so more student feel able to engage in different ways
- Continuing the advocacy of 2017 into reforming the ANU's approach to Sexual Assault and Sexual Harassment on campus
- Building the skills of individual students to access meaningful and safe employment while they study
- Building the capacity of our Clubs program by strengthening our Clubs Council and training Club leaders
- Creating an exciting campus culture, with original, creative and fresh events occurring throughout the year
- Building the structural sustainability of the Association by reviewing our financial and governance structures
- Ensuring the Association is socially conscious, by developing our own sustainability plan and divesting from CommBank
- Managing and preparing for the move to the new Union Court, including advocating for a new campus environment that enables the student experience.
2018 will be a big year, but an exciting one. If you want to get involved, come by the ANUSA offices (in Melville Hall), drop us a line by email or come to any of our meetings. We’re always keen for new ideas and or feedback because we exist to make the student experience the best it can be. Have a wonderful year!
ANUSA President 2018